Friday, July 10, 2015

Tori’s Travels: My First Week of Exploring Ruston

Written by Tori Ward, CVB Marketing/PR Assistant

Hey y’all! So I’ve been traveling around Ruston for about a week now, and I can honestly say that I’ve loved every single place I’ve been and person I’ve met. I’ve gone shopping, eaten at local restaurants and even got to sneak into some LA Tech orientation events (shhhhh!). Let me give you the rundown of my week.

Seeing as that I just moved here, I’m still sprucing up the apartment. I was told by several locals that I needed to visit Beehive Outlet for cute home décor. And let me tell you, I could have stayed there all day long! Not only is the home décor selection amazing, but it’s also super reasonably priced. Everything in the store has a touch of southern charm that feels right at home in this sweet, southern town.

Display at Beehive Outlet

I also did some clothes shopping, because I just can’t help it, and found some of the cutest boutiques in downtown Ruston. All That Jazz has a very country-chic vibe and carries a mixture of nicer brands, along with some more affordable clothing as well. I fell in love with this precious romper there that I’m still thinking about going back to get. I also stopped into Patton’s Downtown, which is an adorable store that has a charming, southern atmosphere. They carry southern lifestyle and outdoor brands, along with cute clothes, bathing suits and jewelry. This is definitely the place to stop for a cute, summer outfit or if you need to pick up a little gift for someone!

All That Jazz 
Patton's Downtown


I don’t know about you, but shopping has a way of working up my appetite. Next stop: FOOD.

Ruston may be a small town, but it is definitely not lacking in restaurants or a variety of them. My first stop was at Log Cabin Grill and Market, and all I can say is you must get the BBQ dip and chips, you won’t regret it. I was also super impressed with their stocked market that had specialty meats and prepared dished ready to go.On Tuesday, I met up with some friends who came to visit from Shreveport, and we grabbed dinner and a movie. We had dinner at RAW, an amazing little sushi spot in downtown Ruston that feels as though it were uprooted from New York City and dropped in this little Louisiana town. The atmosphere was relaxing and the food was incredible! I mean, just look at this! YUM.

Inside Out Roll from RAW

On Wednesday, I got the chance to take a tour of Ruston while orientation was in full swing at LA Tech. I saw local attractions like the Mitcham Peach Farm and Lincoln Parish Park, and learned quirky little things about Ruston from the always-delightful Travis Napper. Later that day, I thoroughly enjoyed a muffaletta for dinner and listening to a live band at Sundown Tavern. If you go to Sundown, definitely sit on the patio! It has a nice, relaxing atmosphere and it’s just downright pleasant. After dinner I went out to Dog Days of Summer, where local shops stay open late and there’s free music downtown for new students, their parents and the community. I got to witness new Bulldogs learning gameday chants and exploring the city. The takeaway from this experience: the sense of community in Ruston is unreal.


muffaletta from Sundown Tavern 
Dog Days of Summer in Downtown Ruston 

After all that eating I needed to get a little exercise in, so I went for a run at Hideaway Park. Hideaway is a great little spot right by campus that’s perfect for walking, running, playing disc golf or having a picnic. It sits next to a pond, so there’s a nice view when you’re running, and it’s super family friendly. I’m reluctant to show you pictures, but here you go.

Me working up a sweat at Hideaway Park 

So, that pretty much sums up my first week in Ruston. I really find myself loving this town more and more every day. I still have a ton of places to explore in Ruston, so keep following along for more of Tori’s Travels and spotlights of local attractions. Have a peachy weekend! (Okay, that was maybe a little cheesy).


No comments:

Post a Comment