Monday, July 27, 2015

Tori’s Travels: When in Ruston

Written By Tori Ward, CVB Marketing/PR Assistant

Hello all! I’ve had yet another busy week in Ruston exploring the town and all it has to offer. After living here for about three weeks, I’ve quickly learned that when in Ruston, there are just some things you MUST do. I’ve recently visited a few places that are totally unique to Ruston and I just can’t help but share about my experiences.

Taking a trip to Lincoln Parish Park is one of those things that will make visiting Ruston/Lincoln Parish a complete experience. After hearing friends talk up the park and getting a quick look at it during my tour of Ruston, I knew it would be a spot I would visit frequently. However, I had no idea just how much Lincoln Parish Park has to offer until I went to visit last week. Not only is the park absolutely gorgeous and super well kept, but it offers so many options for outdoor activities. In the summer time, you can relax on the park’s beach and cool off with a swim in the lake. Or if you’re feeling more adventurous, you can bring your bike and take a shot at their killer mountain bike trail that is rated one of the top in the country. As someone who despises treadmills, I loved the park’s 1.25 mile walking path around the lake for my outdoor run. I plan on taking a picnic lunch and a good book out to the park soon and making a day out of it. Seriously Ruston, this city girl is impressed.

The lake at Lincoln Parish Park 
enjoying the walking trail 

Naturally, I was starving after all that physical activity, so I decided to treat myself, and what better place to go than a bakery with the slogan “Treat Yo Self.”  Enter the new love of my life: Social Bites. Social Bites is an adorable cupcake shop/bakery located in downtown Ruston that serves the most delicious sweets! I went in just to check out their cupcakes and left the bakery with a red velvet cupcake AND a chocolate chip cookie sandwich. All I can say is YUM. Don’t worry Social Bites, we’ll be BFFs in no time.

Social Bites 
Red Velvet Cupcake and Cookie Sandwich 
                     
As July is winding down, I realized that it will be football season in no time here in Bulldog Country. Game days call for fun Tech gear and cute red and blue outfits, so I hit downtown Ruston knowing that I could find all the red and blue my heart desired in the local shops and boutiques. Sure enough, I snagged some of the cutest blue shorts from Rodéo Boutique, which is this glamorous little shop on Park Ave. The atmosphere is so fun, the clothes are adorable and the staff was unbelievably kind and helpful. If you’re looking for a go-to store where you’re sure to find a fashionable outfit, look no further.


Rodéo Boutique 
Rodéo Boutique 

I was in such a good mood after my experience at Rodéo that I decided to wander down Park Ave a bit and continue shopping. About two stores down I found Penny Perfect. This store is awesome. They have every little gift and knick-knack you can imagine, and it all has a touch of southern charm which makes it that much better. I was thrilled to see so much Tech gear and so many locally-influenced items! If you need to pick up a fun gift for someone or just want to add to your Bulldog spirit, Penny Perfect is an ideal place to shop. Seeing as that I’m absolutely loving my time here in Ruston, I bought a cute little Ruston sign to put in my house, and I love it! 

LA Tech merchandise at Penny Perfect
Display at Penny Perfect 

I ended my week with hands down my favorite dining experience so far in Ruston. I heard time and time again from a dozen different people how amazing Rosemary’s Kitchen was and that I absolutely had to eat there. I went for lunch on Friday and was completely charmed by the homey, quaint atmosphere of the restaurant. This place is so unique, and the food is to die for. I had the shrimp and grits and I’m afraid that now all other shrimp and grits will be ruined for me because this meal was THAT good. The ingredients are all super fresh and you can tell that some serious love goes into every dish. The hours are a little limited, so you have to be able to go from 11 am - 1:30 pm on Monday- Friday if you want lunch, but I promise it’s worth it!

Rosemary's Kitchen
Shrimp and Grits at Rosemary's Kitchen 





Well folks, that wraps up my third week of life in Ruston! Keep checking back for more of my adventures and let me know if I’ve missed one of your favorite Ruston spots so I can travel there soon! Have a great week!



No comments:

Post a Comment