Monday, July 6, 2015

Tori’s Travels: When a City Girl Moves to Ruston

Written by Tori Ward, CVB Marketing/PR Assistant

Hello all! I’m Tori Ward, a brand new inhabitant of Ruston, La. The very first time I visited Ruston, I experienced a bit of culture shock. A few friends of mine attended Louisiana Tech after high school and insisted that I come visit them for the weekend. I had absolutely no idea of what I was getting myself in to, but I had a general understanding that Ruston was a pretty small town.

Before I jump into my first impressions of Ruston, let me give you a little background about where I’m from. I was born and raised in Shreveport, La., just an hour west of Ruston. Shreveport is by no means a “big city,” but it’s a pretty decent size and has a lot of restaurants, shops and fun things to do around town. After I graduated high school, I attended LSU for my undergraduate degree. Baton Rouge was absolutely overwhelming, but I loved the campus and fast pace that surrounded it.

In December of 2012, I visited Ruston for the first time in my life. I was absolutely charmed by the entire town. I took a quick tour through the homey campus, went shopping with my friends at the adorable boutiques downtown and ate at a delicious, locally-owned restaurant. By the end of the weekend, I didn’t want to go back to Baton Rouge. I had no idea that I could have so much fun in such a quaint, little town.  I visited Ruston a few more times over the next few years and loved the town more and more with every visit. The people were so friendly, the food was super tasty and I was mesmerized by the stars that were perfectly visible at night.

I stayed in Baton Rouge for three years, and it didn’t take long for me to get burned out on the hustle and bustle of the capital city. The traffic was a headache, everyone was always in a rush and I longed to have a little peace and quiet. It was around the beginning of my third year at LSU that I decided I wanted to go somewhere smaller for graduate school. After looking at my options, choosing LA Tech seemed like a no-brainer. Not only is LA Tech an incredible school, but I had already very much fallen in love with Ruston and its undeniable small-town charm.

I’m unbelievably excited to explore Ruston more and learn all about this adorable, picturesque town. Stay tuned this summer to hear all about my adventures in Ruston, La.!



Tori Ward is a proud Louisiana native, born and raised in Shreveport, La. She is a Louisiana State University alumna and has a passion for all things PR. Tori is an avid movie watcher, coffee fanatic and lover of the outdoors. She is currently attending Louisiana Tech to pursue a master’s degree in business administration.  




Check back soon for more of Tori's Travels!

            

No comments:

Post a Comment