Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Midwestern’s Thoughts on Ruston

Written by Anne Naber, Louisiana Center for the Blind student and intern for the Ruston Lincoln Chamber of Commerce.


Being that I'm from St. Paul, Minnesota, my perspective of Ruston-Lincoln Parish comes from a Midwesterner’s point of view. I came from   a big city to a small college town. From the Midwest to the South. So far, the only part of Lincoln Parish I've had the pleasure of exploring is Ruston. I feel like I have gotten a good taste of Lincoln Parish, as Ruston is the heart of the Parish. Ruston is a big enough city to have sufficient entertainment, but small enough to still possess that small southern town charm. There are many cute shops, boutiques, and restaurants. It's a close knit community, but still very welcoming and accepting. There's that casual open friendliness that can only be found in the south. It seems like a great place to raise a family.


One thing that stands out to me as a Midwesterner is the richness of history. There is that strong pride in history, which I find to be characteristic of the south. People are born and raised here, and choose to stay; you can tell they're proud to be Rustonites. The restoration of the historic downtown area demonstrates the dedication and pride the community has in its rich history, and in keeping that history alive.

One thing this parish excels in is having and maintaining a healthy business environment. They might not have as many businesses as some big cities, but what they do have thrives. They offer a wide range of shops and eateries, all with a southern flair. There are multiple restaurants offering many tasty dishes that are unique to the region, and literally cannot be found anywhere in the Midwest. From what I can tell, Ruston has a strong business community, which I'm sure will continue to expand and prosper.

The railroad system and interstate help to connect the Parish with the outside world. I'll never forget the sound of trains passing through Ruston at all times of the day. From now on, whenever I hear a train whistle, I will remember Ruston fondly. If Ruston is a good representation of the rest of the Parish, I look forward to seeing more.

Keep checking back for more from Anne Naber! 

Tell us about your adventures in #RustonLA!

            

No comments:

Post a Comment